Miniatures serve as iconographic objects. Not real people, places or things, but simplistic versions of such. This allows for abstracted views of reality. The perfect medium for creating visual representations of memories and emotions – abstractions of reality within themselves.
An introspective, introverted empath, bursting with anxiety and 90s kid nostalgia, Jennifer Nichole Wells creates images full of desolation, malcontent and longing by transforming her hand-built miniature tableaus through her camera lens. Her images draw influence from her midwestern roots and Florida youth.
Jennifer graduated from the University of North Florida in the Spring of 2013 with a Bachelors of Fine Art, concentration in Photography, and minors in Art History and Professional Education. She resides in Jacksonville, FL with her boyfriend and cat.
Jennifer is also a contributing author to the Toy Photographers blog.
Buy prints of her work at jnw.instaproofs.com.
*Portrait Jason Grim
blog posts to check out
- How to Make Realistic Images of Miniatures
- The History of Miniature & Toy Photography
- How to Host a Photo Challenge
- How to Design a Book Cover in Photoshop
- 6 Do’s and Don’ts of Using and Artist’s Work
- 20 Ways to Source Images Online for Free
- 5 Rules of Copyright Every Artist Needs to Know
- A Timeline of the History of Miniatures: From Ritual and Religious Object to Plaything and Collectible
Items of Note
- Popshop Live Instagram Artist Feature, 4/10/17
- Artist Feature, Jennifer Nichole Wells: The Miniature Maestro, Exclu Issue 3, 3/1/17
- Jennifer Wells, Exclu Collective Online, 12/7/16
- Viewbug Behind the Lens, 11/3/16
- Abra-Zine: Shadows, pages 12, 13, 36-39, 10/3/16
- Photographing Miniature Worlds: The Art of Jennifer Nichole Wells, WordPress Discover, 1/4/16
- Tips from a pro for photographing miniatures, Undersized Urbanite, 10/21/15
- Small Objects Create Big Worlds: a tour of Jennifer Wells’ miniature diorama photography, Things Created by People, 9/13/15
- Storm Cellar Vol. IV No. 3 Summer/Fall 2015, Sightlines
- Project Management 101: 101 Tips for Success in Project Management by Lew Sauder, CreateSpace, 7/8/14
- Torn Lace by Jack Bruns, CreateSpace, 3/31/14
- Consulting 101: 101 Tips for Success in Consulting 2nd edition by Lew Sauder, CreateSpace, 2/14/14
- The Reluctant Mentor: How Baby Boomers & Millenials Can Mentor Each Other in Modern Workplace by Lew Sauder & Jeff Porter, CreateSpace, 11/13/13
- The Rebirth: Restructuring Internally through Self Evaluation (1st edition) by Natasha Huyler, lulu.com, 7/6/13
- Working Would be Great if it Weren’t for Managers: Thoughts on Business, Life & Slackers by Gary W. Wells, CreateSpace, 12/30/12
- Here Comes Everyone, Toys & Games, 5/5/17
- Built Environment, Passporte, Online, 2/7/17
- The Other Side: A Play in One Act, written by Te Hao Boon, Illustrated by Jennifer Nichole Wells, Layout by Ghostwulf, 2/28/17
- Photography Program at the University of North Florida, Student Work, 11/28/16
- Denik Licensing Agreement, May 2016
- Experiment with Formats, WordPress: The Daily Post, 5/6/15
- Wet Weather, Don’t Take Pictures, Online, 2015
- New Works from Recent UNF Photography Graduates, Southlight Gallery, Jacksonville, FL (Invitational), 2015
- Saw Palm: Florida Literature & Art, Issue 7, page 65, 139, University of South Florida